For mother’s day, I posted the meal my mother wanted, complete with recipes. For father’s day, I was going to do something similar, but my dad just wanted grilled chicken and broccoli salad. So today I’m sharing my mother’s recipe for broccoli salad which is onion free, because raw onions upset my father’s stomach.
Don’t let the one hour plus prep time worry you. Most of that is for chilling in the refrigerator (the salad, not you. You can chill in the living room). Not actual time spent in the kitchen.
- ½ lb broccoli (cuts or florets)
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- ¼ c. milk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ lb bacon ends
- ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Mix together broccoli, bacon, & cheese in non-metal bowl.
- Whisk together mayo, milk, & sugar.
- Pour over broccoli mixture. Stir.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Overnight is better.
- The Great Veggie Experiment – Broccoli (hollykirtley.wordpress.com)
- Three dishes to Celebrate! (bitsandbreadcrumbs.com)
- So you Don’t want to Eat Broccoli? Try this out! (elainehastings.wordpress.com)
- Day 82 – Saladpalooza (yearofhealthierliving.wordpress.com)