Hi, I’m Pam from The Patriotic Pam. I’m so glad to be here today to share this wonderful Big Greedn Egg Brined Turkey recipe with you.
This is our absolute FAVORITE turkey recipe and we have tried many. I love how juicy, tender and savory this brine makes the turkey. It just turns out perfect every time! So let’s get to it.
- ¾ Cup Coarse kosher salt
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- 2 Whole Onions (diced)
- 2 Whole Carrots (Chopped)
- 3 Pieces Celery (Chopped)
- 1 Whole Garlic bulb (cut in half)
- ½ Bunch Rosemary
- ½ Bunch Sage
- ½ Whole Annis bulb (Fennel)
- 6 Whole Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Crushed red pepper
- ½ Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Whole Rind of navel orange
- 2 Gallons Water
- 1 Stick (FOR TURKEY PREP, NOT BRINE) Butter
- Combine all ingredients with the 2 gallons of water. Stir well to dissolve sugar and etc.
- Place turkey in brine and refrigerate for up to three days. (We used a brand new 5 gallon bucket and since we live in New England where it's been below freezing daily, we just added ice to our brine and stored in garage for two days, making sure the ice stayed in brine so we knew our temps were staying cold!)
- Remove turkey from brine the night before you want to cook it. Pat it dry. Store in refrigerator overnight for a crisper skin.
- To prep turkey for Big Green Egg, start your BGE and set temp around 325-350 degrees. We added Cherry woods chips to our coals for a nice smoke flavor.
- Prep turkey by placing on a v rack in a baking pan OK for BGE. Use a stick of butter to coat skin all the way around turkey. I find a room temperature stick of butter us best for this.
- If you are going to stuff your turkey prepare your stuffing and allow to cool to room temp. Place into turkey. Turkey is now ready for grill.
- Place turkey on BGE using a plate setter to diffuse the heat and leave turkey on v rack with a 9x13 baking pan under it too. All this allows for the turkey to cook evenly and slowly.
- Grill turkey for about 15-20 mins per pound. And make sure internal temperature of your done turkey is 165. We used a quick read thermometer to check when we were getting close.
- Allow turkey to rest inside off of BGE for about 25-30 mins before carving. This allows the juices to sink into the meat of the turkey for a juicier bird. Carve and serve!
Below the collage are links to all of the posts that participated in our Blog Swap Meet: Holiday Recipes!
Stop by and visit them all!
If You Can Read, You Can Cook posted on The Patriotic Pam
The Patriotic Pam posted on If You Can Read, You Can Cook
Cook in 5 Square Meters posted on Dizzy Busy and Hungry!
Dizzy Busy and Hungry! posted on Anyonita Nibbles
Anyonita Nibbles posted on Cook in 5 Square Meters